Search

Monday, March 29, 2010

My Year in Disturbing Film: Week 13 - Oh How Lucky!

My year in disturbing film is my weekly column where I devote a few paragraphs to the most fucked up films ever made. Each week I plan on subjecting myself to the most horrific and mentally damaging imagery my mind can handle. I can't promise you this won't be the week I wind up in the hospital...

HERE is a reminder about my rating system for these films

Hmmm so what torment is in store for me this week...

Pi – The cow goes Mu

What is the movie about?
A number obsessed man is working on the secrets of Pi. All sorts of insanity ensue in a slow and plodding manner. I wish there was more to say about the film, but there isn’t. The story is kind of thin.

Is the film disturbing?
The short answer is a resounding no! But you look the type who’d like the long answer. Max is a mathematician who’s obsessed with numbers, he’s working on solving the riddle of Pi and little does he know he’s about the crack another major secret or two. During a routine data run for stock market predictions he’s working on (to predict patterns in the market) his system freezes and spits out a number. This number turns out to not only be the secret of perfect 100% accurate stock market predictions (which a certain corporation already seems to know about, but doesn’t have yet). The number also appears to be a code in the torah to decipher the true name of god. This issue causes quite a stir and begins many a chase scene, but frankly even with the chasing and the yelling and the blah blah blah Pi is still an incredibly boring, obnoxiously slow paced film.

The closest it comes to being disturbing is right at the end when the main character drills a hole in his head. The practice is called trepanation and it’s done to relieve pressure on the skull, it’s a little bit of a shock to see it performed, but frankly it’s a very quick shot. This movie, sadly, didn’t belong on this list and I knew that from the start there would be films that didn’t deserve to be on here. Trust me though, there aren’t a lot. I’m going to be sympathetic with my score because Pi really is a one-watch film. It should keep your attention the first time through.

3 Head Holes out of 5

Disturbitude: 0, if anything this movie made me SANER!

Next Up: The Girl Next Door – more than making up for this film.

P.S. I guess it was a pleasant break to watch a film that isn’t entirely fucked up, but it’s counter-productive. Lets hope there aren’t too many more of these on the list.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason Blogger is giving me one heck of a time posting pictures today so I posted this sans pictures. I'll add them later.

    ReplyDelete