Search

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

This is it, the best of the best of the best

and the worst of the worst

Here we go

Top Ten of 2009

10 - Chocolate - The story of an autistic girl who kicks all sorts of ass.



9 - Ponyo - Reviewed on this site, go check it out



8 - Anvil: The story of Anvil - A documentary about a band spending it's entire career fighting to regain the fleeting moments of fame it had at the begining (Update: since the movie hit this year they've been getting a lot of support and have even played opener for AC/DC's most recent stadium tour, good for them. I can't think of a band that deserves it more) METAL ON METAL!!



7 - Observe and Report - The OTHER (and significantly BETTER) mall cop film of 2009. a must see if you missed it.



6 - UP! - Reviewed on this site, check it out. Also this movie has made me cry with every single viewing. Damn you Pixar for making such potent material.



5 - Star Trek - JJ Abrams reinvention of the series is the second best sc-fi movie of the year. It handles time travel better than any movie I've ever seen.



4 - Fantastic Mr. Fox - Reviewed here, check it out...it's FANTASTIC



3 - Moon - Isolation, insanity, depression...Who could ask for anything more?! Moon is my favorite science fiction film of the year and if you get the chance to see it you'll understand why. This is classic science fiction at it's best.



2 - Inglourious Basterds - read the review, ya basterd!



1 - District 9 - I have a friend who argues with me on the importance of this film. His biggest arguement is that the main character is "a wimp" as he so elegantly puts it. This does nothing but prove to me that he does not get the film and is obviously a product of 80's action films. District 9 was a breath of fresh air in a year of film rife with stagnant, putrid stench. I implore anyone who hasn't seen it to do so and to watch it with an open mind and an open heart. You can read my review on this site.



Honorable mentions: Funny People, The informant!, Zombieland, Tyson

Now on to the worst of the worst...
My Top Five Worst Films of 2009

5 - X-men origins: Wolverine - Up and coming filmmakers should look at this as what not to do with special FX.

4 - Armored - Reviewed here, go take a peek....I dare you!

3 - Land of the lost - oh Will Farrell how far have ye fallen and why'd you have to take Danny McBride with you.

2 - Paul Blart: mall cop - I probably should be allowed to put this on my list. I only made it five minutes in before shutting it off.

1 - Halloween 2 - I don't usually watch remakes and I try to avoid sequels to remakes, this is the only movie I've seen this year that managed to get less than one full star, Though managed to avoid the dreaded zero stars.

(Ed. Note: I feel this needs to be mentioned. I know I watched it after the fact, but Miss March completely deserves to be on this worst of the year list. So i'm adding it an a DIShonorable mention)

Every year there's one or two movies that just get way more credit than they deserve. Now it's my turn to knock it down a peg with my...

Most Overrated Film: The Hangover - This is a film that has few laughs and the ones they have are far between. Zach Galifinakis and Ed Helms carry this movie, I would have shut it off if not for them. The one guenuine laugh they got from me was during the end credits showing the pictures on the camera.
Honorable mention: I love you, man.

On the other end of the spectrum there are films that come out that don't get the credit they deserve. A prime example of this is 2008's Role Models, but this is 2009.

Most Underrated Film: Cold Prey - This foreign horror is well worth the watch. It didn't get much promotion here in the states, sadly.

Moe's Favorite character of 2009: Dug from UP! - Dug is a pleasure to watch and a joy to listen to, he's the epitome of adorable. You just want to pet him and take him home, because you love him.
Honorable mention: Hugo Stiglitz from Inglourious basterds

Moe's Favorite performance by an actor: this was a three way tie between Sam Rockwell, Christophe Waltz and Sharlto Copley (from Moon, Inglourious Basterds and District 9 respectively)

well that's it, There's 2009 in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment